Steps to a Liposuction Procedure
Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery treatment used to remove fat from parts of the body. It involves making incisions and using a tube connected to a vacuum to suck out fat from the body.
Liposuction is not a weight-loss surgery, and it is not an effective way to lose weight. This treatment was developed for people who can maintain a healthy weight but still have resilient pockets of fat on their frame. People looking to lose significant weight should instead try a diet-and-exercise program or bariatric surgery.
The different steps of getting liposuction
Here are the different steps of getting liposuction.
1. The first step is for the patient to consult with a liposuction surgeon to discuss their goals and expectations.
2. Once the patient has decided to proceed with liposuction, the next step is to undergo a physical examination and obtain medical clearance from the doctor.
3. The third step is to prepare for liposuction surgery by following the surgeon's instructions. This may include quitting smoking, avoiding certain medications, and eating a healthy diet.
4. On the day of surgery, the patient will be given anesthesia to keep them comfortable during the procedure. General anesthetics might be used if the treatment is being performed on a large area.
5. Next, the liposuction surgeon will make small incisions in the treatment area and insert a cannula (a thin tube) to remove excess fat.
6. Once the desired amount of fat has been removed, the incisions will be closed, and the patient will be taken to a recovery room.
7. After liposuction surgery, the patient will need to wear a compression garment to help reduce swelling and promote healing.
8. Most patients can return to their normal activities within a week or two, but it is essential to follow the surgeon's instructions for a successful recovery.
The ideal candidate for liposuction
Liposuction is not a weight-loss surgery, so the ideal candidate should already be at or near their goal weight. Candidates should also have liposuction done for cosmetic reasons rather than to address a health concern. People who are good candidates for liposuction usually:
- Are at a healthy weight but have pockets of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise
- Have good skin elasticity
- Are physically healthy
- Have realistic expectations
Risks and complications of liposuction
As with any surgery, there are risks associated with liposuction. These include:
- Excessive bleeding
- Damage to blood vessels or nerves
- Reaction to anesthesia
- Blood clots
- Fluid imbalances
- Lumps and irregularities in the results
- Skin injuries
- Possibility of revision surgery
Before a patient undergoes liposuction, they should discuss these risks with their surgeon. Liposuction is generally a safe procedure, but it is crucial to be aware of the potential complications.
Take the first step toward achieving your cosmetic goals today
If you are considering liposuction, the first step is to consult with a cosmetic surgeon to discuss your goals and expectations. They will be able to help you decide if liposuction is right for you and develop a treatment plan that will achieve your desired results. Call or visit our Schaumburg clinic to set up an appointment with our surgeon.
Request an appointment here: https://www.paulcdillonmd.com or call Paul C. Dillon, MD Inc at (847) 429-3185 for an appointment in our Schaumburg office.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Liposuction in Schaumburg, IL.
When researching the rhinoplasty process, it is important to understand what to expect after the procedure to ensure a successful outcome. When you have reconstructive nose surgery (rhinoplasty), the recovery process varies depending on the patient and the extent of their surgery. The main goal is to ensure the nose heals properly and retains its…
As you march through this life, living will inevitably take a toll on your body. While you can hide the internal effects of aging from the eyes of the world, your skin is a tattle-tale, broadcasting your age through fine lines, sagging skin, and loss of elasticity. While these are common signs of aging in…
If you have bagginess or excess skin around your eyes, you can fix the problem with an eyelid lift. This procedure can improve the appearance and function of your eyes. It removes excess skin and muscle and even fat. Find out more about this plastic surgery option to determine if you want to move forward.Many…
Sagging skin, wrinkles and other signs of loss-of-volume can make a face look prematurely aged.However, there are solutions that do not involve face lifts, tucks and other kind of surgery.Filler injections, sometimes called “injectables,” “dermal fillers,” or even just “having your lips done,” can replace lost volume, help smooth out wrinkles, tighten up sagging skin,and…